'Coming out'
Having read Tinks blog about writing an article and 'coming out' (a very appropriate way of putting it), I have been thinking a lot about how we are a hidden group where some of us (including me) feel unable to be open and honest with people about having HepC. I have kept my +ve status secret from all but the closest of friends and family, and have for the last 10 years (since being a relapser on interferon alpha) been pretty much in some kind of denial about it. Trying to live my life as if HepC didn't exist, refusing treatment 'I'll be fine, I look after myself, eat well, exercise regularly...', explaining my abstinence from alcohol with a variety of reasons tailored to meet the needs of the enquirer etc etc. And all the time carrying the weight as if it wasn't there. And I still do, with lots of people.
It is a great weight to carry something around that you feel you have to keep hidden for fear of other peoples recriminations, assumptions and judgements. To feel like you have to - that in itself is a burden. I want to be able to be open, so that when people ask how I am I can look them in the eye and say 'I have hepatitis C, I'm taking some treatment, I don't feel great but I hope it will work'. That's it. How hard can it be?
But then having to deal with peoples shocked (and upset) responses - here's the tricky bit - 'Bloody hell, how did you get that? Are you OK?'! For me - life history ensues; justifications, explanations, reassurances. That's the problem with this, it's not like some other diseases where I can tell someone I have it and that's that. It opens a whole can of worms that I then have to try to prevent from escaping to places where they might do some damage. Those worms are 20 years out of date and say absolutely nothing true about who I am, yet I fear that they still have the capacity to do harm, that they will form a colony and spread a story that becomes more distorted the more it's told. So do I lie - '...hmmm yes, it's very puzzling, I'm not really sure where I got it - maybe earpiercing, dentist, ummmm an operation I once had...'? OK this avoids the life story saga bit, but ultimately is it good for one's soul to do this? How can I live comfortably or make peace with something I can't even be straight about? Quite a dilemma that I am grappling with at the moment.
Well anyway, these are all thoughts going through my head. I hope that one day I can hold my head up and say 'I am strong, I live with my mistakes from the past, judge me if you will, but I know myself better'. I am gathering courage from, and am grateful to all those who are helping us to be more visible, more normal and therefore less stigmatised. I am working towards being a contributor.

3 Comments:
Hi Lu,
My own "can of worms" dates back over 20 years, too. Some people (my wife, my parents, close friends, doctors) I tell the simple truth to. With others I use shorthand: "a serious medical problem" or "chemo," if I want to tell them anything; these are people I might be comfortable explaining HCV to, but I don't want to get into the whole drawn-out story. Finally, for the majority of people, it's none of their business.
I know several people with HCV and know people who know people with it. In some (12-step/therapy/medical) circles I run in, it's not a big deal. But I've had the opportunity to see how some ignorant people responded to a Hep C'er who was undergoing treatment. They knew nothing about the disease or the treatment. In their conversations, they assumed this person was going to die - no exaggeration. Would I tell these people I was HCV+? Not on your life!
So I'm self-protective. I also realize that it's in my interest to be honest with people who have what I need right now: knowledge, love, concern. Those other folks... I have enough stress at this time without undertaking to educate the terminally ignorant.
Peter
Hi Lu,
The way to squash any awkward questions is to answer them before you are asked. If you say to someone that you 'got hepatitis C from an operation many years ago', they will ask questions about Hep C, not the operation. They will not press further for the source. Whether it is true or not is not relevant.
I think that telling a small lie as to the exact source of infection is a positive contribution to Hep C treatment. The more people realise that it is not just a problem for druggies and haemophiliacs, the better chance we all have to get good treatment and social acceptance.
I would positively encourage everyone to invent an 'innocent' source of infection, and tell everyone about it. You can certainly live with your conscience if you take the view that telling the truth will damage others, and not even help your own cause. The truth is not always in everyone's best interest. A politically correct lie is called for. It certainly does the greatest good for the greatest number!
Hi Peter and Martin
Thank you both, it was so interesting to read your comments! I had never discussed this issue with anyone else who has hepC. Interestingly you seem to feel the same way as the people I've discussed it with who don't. Maybe that isn't so surprising?
I really do see where you're coming from, and I do agree with you. My question is however - is it possible to be part of an awareness raising campaign on these terms? People like Michelle Martinoli are open about their sources of infection. I'm not sure what the reactions are to people like that? Can one predict? Does it matter? Hmm there are so many issues here.
Thank you again, I will add your thoughts to my own, ponder some more and see where I get to. I'm sure there's more blogging to do on this subject...
Hope all's going really well with you both
Lu
Post a Comment
<< Home