anaemia and iron deficiency
Just reading others blogs and noticing a few others with anaemic-tendencies. I went to see a private haematologist last week to talk about the possibility of a private prescription of Epoetin (not available via NHS or privately through my hospital). Yes, he is happy to prescribe and indeed thinks this is the right thing to do, but unfortunately I'm iron deficient and apparently iron levels need to be up over 50 to be able to support the Epo. Well mine's 10 now but pre-treatment was in 20's so not looking good for starters. And iron tablets are just too hard on my stomach not to mention the dodgy rash. The haematologist suggested an iron infusion where iron is infused intravenously over a 5-6 hour period. This in itself might increase my haemoglobin so maybe I wouldn't need the Epo (which is rather expensive to say the least). Hmm I need to look into this further as I can't imagine that a year's worth of iron could really do the body that much good, especially when it is already under the stress of treatment. A difficult call, as the consultant said I might feel a lot better for it. Will research and update as and when.
Injection 29 last thursday - felt squashed as usual for the majority of friday. Tearful at times, feeling sorry for myself and wanting to kick my legs a bit in protest. But I find I can be low one minute, denying that I have ever felt happy in my life, then the next I've forgotten and am getting on with whatever! Sometimes I'm grumpy before I even open my eyes in the morning (think Dastardly and Muttley when their plans have been foiled) - possibly at the thought of having to eat breakfast! But then once I'm up and about things tend to look brighter. This blogging helps too.
By the way, I saw Pamela Anderson on tv last friday - what is going on there? I don't understand - she is a famous person with HepC, yet she is doing an HIV campaign and mentions HepC in passing and in brackets. I can't help but think that Jonathon Ross was told not to ask her about it. Is it helpful for her to throw it into a sentence like it's not important? I can see there could be something OK about that - not making a big deal about it could help destigmatise it - but at the same time, come on! It's not exactly awareness raising!
Anyway, what have I got planned for the week? Not much. I went to the dentist today, he is a friend so always nice to see him, and my teeth are fine. Nice to have someone say something positive about the health of one's body! I'm sure we could all do with a bit more of that - 'Your heart is great, your skin's in good condition, your blood pressure is perfect, you've got great ears' etc would be so much nicer than such focus on the, lets say, less good stuff!
Well got to eat (more cereal) and take pills so signing off for now

1 Comments:
Hi Lu,
I am interested to read that you are looking at a private prescription for Epoetin. I made a big fuss with my hospital before I started treatment to try and get a promise that it would be prescribed if I needed - no joy though.
It can help with aneamia and consequently should help with quality of life while on treatment. I really think that the NHS ignore quality of life issues when treating hep c. I have read that Epoetin is one of the 10 most expensive medicines so I suspect that privately it will set you back a bob or two.
Jonathan
Post a Comment
<< Home