Lu's blog

My blog

Sunday, November 27, 2005

...and back to work

Well I've made it back to work and have to say I'm really enjoying it so far! It is so great to be back in the swing of things - I feel like a real person again after so long stuck in a very insular world. I seem to have so much more energy these days too! And enthusiasm, and even a bit of brain power! It's quite amazing, and I'm really loving it!

I am well into my music these days - playing lots of violin and piano and have noticed a huge improvement since this time last year (have had lots of time to practice). Listening to a lot of dub reggae at the moment, intersperced with David Bowie (I've got his piano songbook so play along with the CD's!) and I've just ordered a Del McCoury (bluegrass) CD to play violin with. Last night we went out for dinner - had a delicious fig, tomato and shallot tarte tatin - and then to the pictures to see 'Thumbsucker' which was really good. Great story and full of all sorts of interesting messages. I recommend it. Oh that and Napoleon Dynamite which is just hilarious!

Of course tests loom, as does Christmas, but I'm trying to take things one day at a time. I must say I was encouraged by some news I heard that live liver donation is on the cards - where they take part of the right lobe of someone's liver, and it regrows to full size in the donor and the recipient in 12 weeks. My 'worst case scenario' doesn't seem quite so scarey with that in the pipeline, and I always have my fingers crossed for stem cell research coming up with something feasible one day.

My sleeping is so much better these days - it is quite joyous to go to sleep, stay asleep then wake up comfortable and cosy well into the morning (9.30 today!). My appetite is now much more steady, I'm enjoying food a lot but don't seem to be putting much weight on considering how much I eat. I have less of the 'hot eyes', still a bit of the hot feet at night but not so bad now that the temperature is that much cooler. What I do have which is a bit pesky is a problem with my joints, which started about a month after finishing treatment. My knees really hurt on top when I crouch down (getting things from low cupboards etc), and my wrists and hands, ankles and feet are just generally a bit achey, like when you've got the flu or something. It's not too bad and I'm hoping it will pass but it is a sobering reminder of what my body has been through over the last year.

My mood is so much better, everyone around me is very thankful I'm sure! I do think I have changed a bit over this last year - I feel much more able to be open and assertive, I am much clearer about what I think about things, and I think I feel generally a lot stronger in myself. I had a small filling done on a broken tooth last week, and opted for no anaesthetic as it didn't seem worth the injection and the hours of numbness afterwards. It was so much quicker and easier than having all that injection malarky. I just felt like it would be OK and that I could handle it. Also I started violin lessons again this week with a really good teacher. I thought I would be nervous playing in front of her (it will have been 24 years since my last lesson...), and I really wasn't. It was fine, I felt fine, I felt comfortable and confident, despite my rusty screechy violin playing! I think I have always had courage, but rather than doing things despite the fear, the fear now seems so much smaller.

And along with the llama lashes which have revolutionised my daily mascara experience, I think I can say that this last year on combination treatment has really had some positive side effects!

8 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Blogger peter said...

Hi Lu,

Sounds like good stuff all around. It seems like many of us have changed after going through treatment. Things that used to seem so important just don't anymore. And things that scare me but are important, well, I'm more willing to attempt them.

And one day at a time seems the way to go!

Peter

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Lu,

Work sounds wonderful. Music sounds amazing! Piano and violin - wow! Bowie soooo great.

Live liver donation ongoing in Toronto (health care institution where I'm employed one of largest live donor liver transplant centres in North America). Is happening and is working. We have people from all over Canada.

Napoleon Dynamite definitely hilarious. Am waiting for Narnia (read entire series to both my kids when they were small), in hopes that it is wonderful. Being released here next week. Trying to talk my 15 year old son into going (yeah, right mom...).

Congratulations on the improved brain power, mood, sleep patterns and enjoyment of life. Am extremely jealous of your continued llama lashes - was one of first side effects to vanish for me! Take care,
Sue

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Punjtun said...

Hi Lu,
I have been away from my internet activities. I am trying to catch up with every other blog.
I glad to read that you are doing well. may God give you more health.

with best wishes
Ijaz

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger lu said...

Hi Peter, good to hear from you! Thanks for your comments, yes treatment, hepc etc seem to change one's perspective on things. The term 'bigger fish to fry' often springs to mind. Tho of course us veggies wouldn't think of it!
Take care
Lu

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger lu said...

Hi Sue
Now you mention it, those lashes do seem to becoming a bit less llama-like! Damn! I had hoped they were for ever!
The music is keeping me semi-sane in the absence of gardening activities!
Got any other good film recommendations? I know 'me, you and everyone we know' is supposed to be really good, as is 'Only human'. Neither have been released here yet so I need something good in the meantime!
Great to hear the live liver donation side of things is going well, I need to keep this in mind with my pcr looming...
Hope all is well with you, take care
Lu

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger lu said...

Hi Ijaz
THanks for being in touch, it was nice to hear from you. I hope things are going well for you, and that you're feeling OK.
All the best
Lu

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger misspoppy said...

Hi Lu,
The changes in your self that you portray in you post tx posts are truely amazing. You are simply oozing positivity and that certainly gives the reader a smile.
I had to laugh about your filling, how brave is that?
It was interesting to read about the liver transplant stuff that yourself and Sue have referred to, it is always good to hear that if it sould be necessary that there is a possible plan b!
I love dub reggae and lovers reggae too, Black Uhuru are a particular favourite.
Hope work continues to be a source of satisfaction for you.
Good wishes
Miss Poppy

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger lu said...

Hi Miss Poppy
Thanks for being in touch, it's always nice to hear from you. I hope everything is going much better for you now. I'm glad my posts have the capacity to make you smile anyway! As for work - well I guess you know that working with young people brings its challenges and rewards, and there's always something going on, so it's good to get back in the swing of things! I wonder what you're doing about work? Will check in on your blog again and see what's happening. I used to have a Black Uhuru LP (LP! - how old am I?), but can't remember which one it was - maybe it was called red or something? Any hot tips on what lovers reggae to listen to? I've ordered a Mikey Dread dub reggae album but its on special order and taking ages to arrive. Listening to King Tubby, Augustus Pablo, and Lee Scratch Perry and the Upsetters in the meantime.
Take care of yourself and keep on dancing to that reggae beat...
Lu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

website hit counter
website hit counters