48!
Done it! Here I am, my last friday on treatment and I must say I'm feeling pretty good. A little heavy-bodied and tired-eyed, and the usual background hum of fridays, but otherwise fine so far! The sun is shining, I've been pottering in the back yard, looking at my plants, willing them to be healthy, and planning what I might like to grow next. I've been growing courgettes this year, and so for the last 3 weeks it's been courgettes with everything - they've been stuffed, put in pasties, tarts, tabouleh, curries, salads..! It has been a real eye-opener to see just what lovely things you can make with them! I have a fantastic cook book 'Leith's vegetarian bible' which I would highly highly recommend to veggies and non-veggies alike. Because my tastes have been so different on treatment, I have needed a lot of variety - I just haven't had a taste for my normal dishes (you know, the usual suspects of veg lasagne, veg chilli, lentil shepherds pie etc). At times I have enjoyed my first couple of mouthfuls of a meal, then realised I couldn't really taste it anymore. I am looking forward to being able to taste things properly again. One of the things I have realised more than anything over this last year, is how important food is in my life. When I felt sick all the time I felt very low - I dreaded having to eat. But now my appetite is much better and I can get quite excited about what wonderful things I can cook! It is expecially good to be able to cook something I've grown myself too!
Spain next week - I am looking forward to it, but it does seem quite far away from home. I have become so home-focused - this is where I have spent 99% of my time over the last 11 months, and it's where I feel safe. BUT I had a trial run of being away last week when I went to the Grasmere Sports (fell running, cumbrian wrestling, aniseed hound trails, fudge stalls etc) and stayed for 2 nights. The sports were great but absolutely soaking - in true Lake District style it poured down all day! But the show went on and we had a nice time anyway. We found a nice veggie restaurant to have dinner in that night. Although Spain isn't renowned for its vegetarian restaurants, I am thinking of the lovely olives and the abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables I can eat there - aubergines, asparagus, artichokes, oranges, avocadoes, figs... Yep, I'm definitely feeling hungry today!

5 Comments:
Well I'm jealous! Not only have you done it but you get to laze around in Spain as well!
Seriously though, you've earned it, so have a good holiday, and all the best for a speedy recovery!
Martin
Thanks Martin and Ron
Yes it's good to be able to say 'no more of those fridays'! I'm definitely feeling more myself at the moment - just knowing that this is the last week on treatment has made a big difference. Tho I had serious chills and a fever last night til about 4am! Good to have reminders of the grots of treatment so close to the end. I don't expect to suddenly feel wonderful when I stop the riba, but it will be so nice not to take those pills any more! And I'm looking forward to starting to clear my system.
Hope all is going really well for you both, and thanks for your support.
Take care
Lu
Hi Lu,
Congratulations on the final injection!! SUCH a great feeling knowing that next Friday, there will be no need to bring out the needles.
You've gone through such a long, draining time, but throughout have been able to find beauty and wonder in your world. A very positive example for all of us involved with hcv treatment.
All best wishes for a fast final ribaweek, an utterly fabulous vacation in Spain and, of course, svr.
Sue
Hi Lu,
Congratulations on your last on treatment. realy you done well with courage. i wish you good luck in future.
Ijaz
Thank you Ijaz for your kind comments. Yes I'm very pleased to have got this far in treatment. You know only too well it is not easy in lots of different ways!! I hope things are going well for you and that you're feeling OK.
Peace and luck to you
Lu
Post a Comment
<< Home