Lu's blog

My blog

Friday, June 03, 2005

So last night, post injection, a series of mishaps which I could have done without especially in the initial throes of interferon. Having knocked a pint of fizzy water all over the table, the floor and myself, I later dropped my hot water bottle into the dog's water bowl, tipping it all over the floor. Then I went to bed, leaving my sister's greyhound (who is staying with us at the moment) downstairs as she is a pest and wants to sleep on sofas, beds etc. Half an hour later, I was just falling asleep despite my mum's snoring when 'oww owww, wuff wuff, owwwoooo' from downstairs - on and on. I tried to ignore it but eventually relented, got up, told her to shut up, and went back to bed. Just falling asleep again when, guess what, 'owoooo'. Just the 6 times, every time I was just dropping off, every half hour or so until 2.30am when I decided enough was enough and shoved her unceremoniously in with my mum. Eventually got to sleep probably around 3.30am.

So this morning, I got up around 10.15am to glorious sunshine, went outside and found that because I hadn't opened the plastic greenhouse flap early enough, my carefully nurtured lettuces and basil had fried in the heat. Very sad looking indeed. I watered them and put them in the shade, hoping they would revive themselves, and got on with sowing some courgette seeds. Of course when I put the little pots into the greenhouse, I knocked one of them over spilling the compost and seeds onto the tomatoes below. And when I reached in to rescue them, I snapped off the main flowering head of the tomato plant which was promising to have at least 7 baby tomatoes soon.

It's all the dog's fault - she who has been blissfully sleeping for most of the day. I have to say I have been very strong in resisting the temptation to wake her up repeatedly so she knows what it's like. It's the ribavirin you know...

3 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Blogger MartinB said...

You can never win with animals!
Best advice is to adopt the path of least resistance, throw an old sheet on the bottom of the bed and let the dog sleep on it! You will both get a good night's sleep!
Winston Churchill had it about right - he said that dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, and pigs treat you as an equal!
Martin

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger lu said...

Hi Martin
Yes, dogs on sheets on bed, but a greyhound??!! My labrador sleeps comfortably on the bed with me (tho she snores, dreams, twitches and shakes the bed)- but I have to draw the line at a great big beast with enormous haunches and a very pointy nose! Of course I'm not bitter - and there's no favouritism you understand...

Haha you're definitely right about cats looking down on you. I get the dog to chase them when they're stalking the birds and they just turn around, puff themselves up and stare her out! At which she tries to look casual as she pretends not to be interested anymore and sniffs the ground nearby. Pigs are just great tho aren't they?

Hope treatment is going great for you
Lu

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Lu,

I must apologize, just catching up on the blogs and was laughing by the end of this one of yours. Talk about a day gone wrong! Assume it only goes uphill from here.

Hope your weekend is great and the dogs well behaved. Am more familiar with the haughty disdain of cats (I have three) - keeps me in my place. Wishing you a good sleep, recovered plants and water that stays where it is supposed to!

Sue

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

website hit counter
website hit counters